XCP.pw - New Open-Source Tools

New tools are available on XCP.pw

• Broadcast a file’s MD5 hash. Useful when you work on an important project and want to timestamp / prove ownership.
  • Demo where you can submit many messages to a database. The DB is then anchored to the Bitcoin blockchain. Can be used as-is or as a starting point for a project.
  • Plenty of passphrase tools. Self-explanatory.

As a general rule, make a new passphrase for these tools only and deposit a small amount for testing.

The broadcast tools may work only after you save the html files and run them locally. I believe this is just a feature of jQuery / JavaScript, and I haven’t found a workaround. Any ideas?

Surprised to see MD5… I thought everyone preferred SHA256 for hashes now.

Always good to see more tools. My only thought atm is that it looks a bit technical for any noobs who stumble on it, perhaps link to CounterParty whatis-ABC and same for Bitcoin… if only the http://www.weusecoins.com/

Thanks for feedback!

Surprised to see MD5… I thought everyone preferred SHA256 for hashes now.

Two reasons I used MD5.

• I couldn’t get any SH256 algorithm to work properly.
  • Broadcasts are max 32 characters. SHA256 in standard hex formatting is 64 and with base64 it’s 44. (This is a limitation of the javascript library I use, not with Counterparty.)

SHA256 is certainly on the TODO list.

My only thought atm is that it looks a bit technical for any noobs who stumble on it

Good idea. I just embedded one of Robert Ross’ instructional videos. I’ll think about more ways to make it more user friendly.

I am really excited for this, i will be going into detail on this for this weeks podcast. Would you by chance want to discuss this with me via skype? I have availabilities tomorrow

Great. I will be online ~ 4-8pm European time today. That would be morning / early afternoon for you?

I have got a lot of request from various community members on how to generate a burn address. Im not sure how easy it would be for you to add this to xcp.pw, but it might be kind of a neat tool to have on there if you think you should add it. Here is the only open source tool i have found so far

Let me know what you think :smiley:

An in-browser JavaScript version would be great. Looked at it briefly. What’s stopping me from making it right now is that I can’t find functions that convert between hex-string and base58-string. Any JS developer in here with a solution?