Using Old Wallet Anagram Presented with Terms and Conditions

Hello,

I have only ever made one wallet @ counterwallet.io.  I’ve since added mostly LTBCoin to one of two addresses in the wallet.  I have recently attempted to log into the wallet only to presented with a dialog saying and I creating a new wallet and asked to accept the terms and conditions.  I avoided accepting them for a while while I made sure I was using the one and only anagram I have properly.  Since I wrote it in three places and have successfully logged into the same counterwallet a number of times in the past, I’ve ruled out I am using the wrong anagram or misspelling it.  I have recently accepted the terms and conditions only to be presented with an entirely new wallet with one unfamiliar public key. Is my old wallet lost?

Your wallet cannot be lost, it’s not “held” by Counterwallet. The re-appeared T&C dialog box can be accepted, it doesn’t impact your wallet or regenerate anything. 

If your wallet was created prior to May 2014 you may need to prepend "old " in front of your pass phrase.
If your wallet was created later (or if you successfully accessed it later), then you can still access your addresses
https://counterparty.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000012278-is-it-possible-to-create-the-list-of-address-from-counterwallet-pass
You can contact support if you’re still having a problem with this.

Hi.  Thank you for the links.  I am trying to use the CounterwalletHelper script.  I’ve got bip32tools installed as well, ran setup so that bip32gen is in path but I get the following error when running bip32gen:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/bin/bip32gen”, line 5, in
pkg_resources.run_script(‘bip32utils==0.1’, ‘bip32gen’)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py”, line 505, in run_script
self.require(requires)[0].run_script(script_name, ns)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py”, line 1245, in run_script
execfile(script_filename, namespace, namespace)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/bip32utils-0.1-py2.7.egg/EGG-INFO/scripts/bip32gen”, line 8, in
from bip32utils import *
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/bip32utils-0.1-py2.7.egg/bip32utils/init.py”, line 1, in
from BIP32Key import BIP32Key, BIP32_HARDEN
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/bip32utils-0.1-py2.7.egg/bip32utils/BIP32Key.py”, line 15, in
from ecdsa.curves import SECP256k1
ImportError: cannot import name SECP256k1
</div>

My cut and paste seems to obfuscate my last post, hopefully it’s readable.  I did try prefixing old before embarking down this path to rescue the wallet with the python scripts but I am at a roadblock getting bip32gen to run properly.  The above is the error I get.  I do have python-ecdsa installed.

An upgrade to the latest Ubuntu has apparently fixed the problem above, no idea which package(s).  I was using Ubuntu 13.10 and have release upgraded to 14.04 for giggles and bip32gen just started working.  I am now a bit stuck passing the right arguments for CounterWalletHelper.py, can someone help me with an example? [Disregard, see next post]

OK. Figuring it out on my own.  Documentation of CounterWalletHelper.py or bips32gen is not for noobs like myself.  It took some time to discover that quotes around the mnemonic helps.  Here is my example to dump the private keys for the wallet:

python CounterWalletHelper.py wallet --pass-phrase "the twelve word mnemonic for your old wallet put inside some quotes" --show-private-keys

Then I created a new Counterwallet and at the top right used Import Funds > From Another Address.  I get the following in red since I have a few tokens to import.

"We're not able to sweep all of the tokens you selected. Please send 0.0067076 BTC transactions to address and try again. OR use the following fields to pay fees with another address"

That's around $2.41 at the time I write this.  It's not a lot of money but just want to be clear I am doing this the right way.  So I have some BTC currently in that wallet, around 0.00001800.  Do I send the diff of what's being asked and the 1800 sats?  Are these consumed as part of a xtn fee?  I'll wait for advice before going forward.  Also, I never used the '--old' argument with CounterWalletHelper.py or with the new Counterparty wallet From Old Wallet under Import Funds.  I don't know when I made the wallet so is specifying either of these important?

Hi Chromaticninja,

What I meant originally was:
1. Go to counterwallet.io
2. If your pass phrase was something like “one two three … twelve”, now enter “old one two three … twelve” (prepend “old” before the original pre-May 2014 pass phrase)

If that works for you that’s the easiest way. If not, use the script.

As mentoined on the help page that’s a 3rd party script so CP can’t vouch for it (it was written by a known community member, though.)

What I think is telling you is your address doesn’t have enough on it to pay for sends (transaction fee).

https://counterparty.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000003514-why-do-i-need-small-amounts-of-bitcoin-to-do
More details about those fees in another article:
https://counterparty.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000049906-what-is-the-difference-between-miner-s-fee-and-redeemable

I haven’t used the script myself so I can’t tell you what to do, but if you now know the address AND also have the private key, you can simply open this address from anywhere.  So you could access it from most wallets that allow  you to add an address if you know the private key for it .
In the situation above, I am not sure but I would guess you probably don’t need that much any more - 0.003 should be enough for one transaction to send the coins out (but maybe if you have both XCP and BTC that’s why it says 0.006. Maybe you can look at the source code to see how that’s calculated.

Also, I never used the ‘–old’ argument with CounterWalletHelper.py or with the new Counterparty wallet From Old Wallet under Import Funds.

Well, I told you about that immediately right after you started this topic.
https://forums.counterparty.io/discussion/321/5-8-important-notice-on-counterwallet-update-to-use-bitcore/p1

Hi Something.

Thanks for all of your replies.  Yes, I did try prefixing “old” in front of the mnemonic on counterwallet.io first but that didn’t work except to create another wallet it would seem. I got the terms & conditions again and a wallet with new unfamiliar pubkey.  Using CounterWalletHelper.py has allowed me to get access to the privkeys of the original wallet with my main pubkey that’s received all my tokens thus far.

I’ve not used the flag “–old” as a part of the CounterWalletHelper.py script when dumping my privkeys and it worked fine.  I also did not use Import Old Wallet in the new wallet on Counterwallet.io.  I seem to be able to rescue the wallet without specifying that my original wallet was “old”, created prior to May.  I was just curious if that is odd.

In any event, all seems OK so far.  I also made a typo in my CounterWalletHelper.py example, wrong flag at the end.  Retyping below.  Hopefully it can help someone else.

python CounterWalletHelper.py wallet --pass-phrase “the twelve word mnemonic for your old wallet put inside some quotes” --show-private

That’s great and thanks for documenting your success.