Node installation error (windows)

For a project I want to install a federated node.
I am using Windows 8.1 and the command prompt MINGW64.
I am simply following the guide, but keep getting errors.

When running the following:

There are no error messages until the step "fednode install .

When I continue with the guide and run the command “fednode install full develop” the following appears:

I have tried to use the Windows command prompt, result is the same. Not able to download.

Any ideas why I am unable to install?

Oooh, the Windows Federated Node code is “beta”, so to speak, I don’t know if anyone is actually using it.

Couple of suggestions:

1. Install Hyper-V or VirtualBox with Ubuntu 16.04 and then install Federated Node in that VM, that works well.
  2. If you want to keep trying (warning: you may waste a lot of time and still not get it to work) I suggest you look at the federatednode Python script and run those commands one by one (copy, paste, Enter) and you’ll easily find where it breaks.
  3. Regarding the python.exe error, make sure Python executable is in your user or system path. For example, this ought to work without going to c:\python35\bin or wherever python.exe is located. You can google it, it’s a generic problem with any user installed binaries on Windows. Search for python.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command or and such.
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\System32>python -V
Python 3.5.4

Thanks for the quick response.

I have switched to Ubuntu, it all worked out except for running ‘fednode install base master’.
Some Googling led me to an answer, change the whoami command.
After changing everything installed.

Thanks!

After succesfully running “fednode install counterblock master” i ran “fednode ps”

karel@karel-VirtualBox:~$ fednode ps
Name Command State Ports

federatednode_bitcoin- start.sh Exit 255 0.0.0.0:18332->18332/tcp,
testnet_1 18333/tcp, 8332/tcp,
8333/tcp
federatednode_bitcoin_1 start.sh Exit 255 18332/tcp, 18333/tcp,
0.0.0.0:8332->8332/tcp,
8333/tcp
federatednode_counterblock- start.sh Exit 0
testnet_1
federatednode_counterblock_1 start.sh Exit 0
federatednode_counterparty- start.sh Exit 0
testnet_1
federatednode_counterparty_1 start.sh Exit 0
federatednode_mongodb_1 docker-entrypoint.sh mongod Exit 255 127.0.0.1:27017->27017/tcp
federatednode_redis_1 docker-entrypoint.sh redis Exit 255 6379/tcp

i tried to run “fednode tail counterparty” and it resulted in the following:

karel@karel-VirtualBox:~$ fednode tail counterparty
Attaching to federatednode_counterparty_1
counterparty_1 | python3: can’t open file ‘setup.py’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
counterparty_1 | python3: can’t open file ‘setup.py’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
counterparty_1 | Traceback (most recent call last):
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/local/bin/counterparty-server”, line 5, in
counterparty_1 | from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 2927, in
counterparty_1 | @_call_aside
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 2913, in _call_aside
counterparty_1 | f(*args, **kwargs)
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 2940, in _initialize_master_working_set
counterparty_1 | working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 635, in _build_master
counterparty_1 | ws.require(requires)
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 943, in require
counterparty_1 | needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 829, in resolve
counterparty_1 | raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
counterparty_1 | pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The ‘counterparty-cli’ distribution was not found and is required by the application
counterparty_1 | Traceback (most recent call last):
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/local/bin/counterparty-server”, line 5, in
counterparty_1 | from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 2927, in
counterparty_1 | @_call_aside
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 2913, in _call_aside
counterparty_1 | f(*args, **kwargs)
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 2940, in _initialize_master_working_set
counterparty_1 | working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 635, in _build_master
counterparty_1 | ws.require(requires)
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 943, in require
counterparty_1 | needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
counterparty_1 | File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 829, in resolve
counterparty_1 | raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
counterparty_1 | pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The ‘counterparty-cli’ distribution was not found and is required by the application
federatednode_counterparty_1 exited with code 0

when tailing bitcoin i got this message after ~15hours of syncing:
Federatednode_bitcoin_1 exited with code 255.

So this means that i am unable to sync to the latest blocks and unable to make a project in (test)blockchain?
Also the federated node guide says that when all containers are running, so far as I know they are all running, counterparty-server would fully start and sync, but since installation nothing happened.

Did i do something wrong?

What Ubuntu version do you run - is it 14.04 or 17? We use 16.04 LTS as the documents say.

When you type “df -H” do you see any filesystem full?

Side-Note: If your looking to do dev work and this fednode installation issue is preventing you from working on a project… feel free to use the public development servers I provide to do dev work until your fednode issue is resolved.

https://coindaddy.io/public-development-servers

:slight_smile:

1 Like

karel@karel-VirtualBox:~$ df -H
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 2,1G 0 2,1G 0% /dev
tmpfs 415M 6,4M 408M 2% /run
/dev/sda1 135G 94G 35G 74% /
tmpfs 2,1G 20M 2,1G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5,3M 4,1k 5,3M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 2,1G 0 2,1G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 415M 58k 415M 1% /run/user/1000

karel@karel-VirtualBox:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

Hey Jdog,

Is there a tutorial how to gain acces to the service through ubuntu?
When running the example Python script the following error message appears after logging in with the username and password:
SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data

How can this be resolved? (I am a dummy in this area.)

Did you run “sudo ln -sf pwd/fednode.py /usr/local/bin/fednode” from the right place?

It seems that setup of Counterparty docker container didn’t end up well… Sometimes (especially if your server doesn’t have an SSD), Docker download partially fails (because it downloads stuff with too many parallel processes for the hardware to digest).

Can you try to run sudo apt-get install coreutils and then fednode rebuild counterblock to try again? Your blockchain data (if any) will remain in place.

Watch the log of install process for any errors.

To your question about accessing the public services from the Internet, here’s an example: How to create a send transaction on Counterparty?

You could use the curl command and pass it a JSON file (with JSON-RPC commands) as input, to send commands to public RPC server.
On Windows it’s much harder, so I wrote only that guide: How to use curl to access the Counterparty API from Windows
On Linux it’s easier, so read these two articles and you should be able to do that from Linux shell.

I noticed that often (even in my case, and I have a good node) due to network and other issues, Docker downloads sometimes fail midway, etc.
That’s why I asked you to watch the screen as the thing is getting installed.
In Docker options you can change it to download not more than 1 thing at a time, which increases install time, but decreases the likelihood of timeouts (ref: https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/dockerd/#description - --max-concurrent-downloads)