Warning: Make sure assets are legitimate

To both issuers and purchasers of assets: A link to an official website should be provided in the [tt]description[/tt] space for an asset, and on that official website should be a list of each address that has stocks on the Counterparty distributed exchange, as well as the asset name(s) associated with each address.

Why? Is that not what the ledger is for?

Unless the website tells us what person owns the asset can this not be retrieved from the ledger?

Also what you are asking for is kinda hard to police and enforce especially if there is a “real” marketplace.

I don’t understand?!

[quote author=knircky link=topic=70.msg1809#msg1809 date=1397024077]
Why? Is that not what the ledger is for?

Unless the website tells us what person owns the asset can this not be retrieved from the ledger?

Also what you are asking for is kinda hard to police and enforce especially if there is a “real” marketplace.

I don’t understand?!
[/quote]

I think hes just saying to be aware. I could buy an asset called REDDIT (I did actually :stuck_out_tongue: for funsies), and then sell those shares claiming that they actually represent shares in reddit.com… so if I were to do that I should at least have some sort of proof (a page on the official website) that its legit.

Right, its good to be loud and clear about what is expceted of an asset issuer. It is not the platforms responsibility, it is the users of the platform who are legally responsible to follow rules/laws. Legitimizing an asset using many traditional forms, including official web page and machine-readable JSON published, is to be expected of all users. Not enforced, expected. Fair warning.

1 Like

Is this fair dinkum? I didn’t see any mention of this when I created the asset…