Issues with too many UTXOs (the infamous insufficient balance message)

How to work around this issue (wrong “insufficient balance” message due to too many unspent transaction outputs) until it’s fixed:

###Theory

• You need to set a higher transaction fee because you need to (inefficiently) gather many outputs in order to compose a transaction
  • Folks who do a lot of (Counterparty) transactions from the same address may end up having many UTXO’s. For example somebody registers 50 assets from the address.

###Practice

• There are different ways to do this, but everyone should use (or not) the way they feel comfortable with
  • I used Joe’s RarePepeWallet (the same pass phrase as for Counterwallet works with it)
    • In Chrome, use Developer Tools to see the error (about insufficient transaction fee)
  • Then in RarePepeWallet Settings, set BTC Tx Fee to that amount
  • Now you can make that send; deduct the custom fee from the balance, and you can send BTC out
  • In my particular case the minimum transaction fee required was 8000 satoshi (0,0008 BTC) instead of the default 0,0002 BTC, so I set BTC Tx Fee to that amount (0,0008). The exact amount varies depending on the situation with UTXO’s but I highlighted it because it’s 400% of the default fee which many think is already high.

###Gotchas

This fixes just one aspect of this problem, which is that you can’t send BTC from the address.
But if you tried to do something else - like make a DEx order or issue a Counterparty asset or something else, this wouldn’t necessarily work for you.

Another potential way to fix those other issues - using my example above - would be to send 0.00081 to your address and then maybe Counterwallet would find that unspent output to pay with it (or maybe not, it’s not guaranteed - this should be tried on testnet).