Faucet

Brainstorming faucet ideas.

We could have many faucet sites,

simple faucet that check ip / proxy / cookie / and captcha, this will pay out tiny amount of XCP.

and faucet that requires harder identity like reddit, bitcointalk, and pay out bigger. Thanks to mastercoin, https://github.com/dexX7/mastercoin-faucet , fork it and modify the sending function,

The concern right now with this are the high fees involved for transfers. 0.0003172 BTC (nearly a quarter) per send.

A number of things will alleviate this:
1. Implementation of OP_RETURN (bitcoin 0.9)
2. The proposed 10x lower fees in bitcoin 0.9
3. Multi-send functionality built into counterparty

In other words, probably best to wait until bitcoin 0.9.

We’ll  how about requiring receivers to send at least 0.0003172 to the service before giving them Xcp.

Actually 0.0001086 will end up on the receiver address so it’s a bit cheaper than that

Are we going to have multi send?

We could also make some sorts of referral program for faucet service so that they can help us advertising(spamming) as the main board does no longer allow giveaway thread etc

[quote author=romerun link=topic=135.msg953#msg953 date=1393642521]
We’ll  how about requiring receivers to send at least 0.0003172 to the service before giving them Xcp.

Actually 0.0001086 will end up on the receiver address so it’s a bit cheaper than that
[/quote]

Also, .0001 BTC is sent back to yourself in a multi-sig output. The fee is always .0001.

Hi, i’m really new and have no idea what is going on here. I do have experience with code, so much so with bitcoin and derivatives, from what little i have gleaned, your protocol is tertiary to the BTC chain right?

[quote author=barwizi link=topic=135.msg1087#msg1087 date=1393966039]
Hi, i’m really new and have no idea what is going on here. I do have experience with code, so much so with bitcoin and derivatives, from what little i have gleaned, your protocol is tertiary to the BTC chain right?
[/quote]

If I have understood you correctly, then the Counterparty protocol is secondary, not tertiary to the Bitcoin blockchain. Can you explain what you mean by “tertiary”?

[font=verdana]K, I have an idea of trustless XCP faucet.[/font]

So, let say I build a web collecting beggar list (like bitcointalk user registering before 2014), and I have an api to query the list of addresses that are still waiting for some XCP.

And we have a script that fetches from that API, and sends XCP to those addresses, this could be run by anybody who are willing to donate. Donator may run it once a day, or once a week, or just one time, it’s up to each donator.

User of the script can specify how much he wants to give, or maybe even be able to specify who is eligible,

So, if many ppl run the script, it’s virtually looks like a faucet,

This also help solving the limitation of sending xcp (when xcp is sent from an address, the address will be unavailable to spend until, the returning change is confirm, in the centralize model, a centralized payment should have many XCP addresses for efficiently spending)

Hey guys,

Mastercoin-Faucet creator here. The above linked Git is quite outdated and I wanted to push a clean version some day - refactored and without all the website stuff, so reuse becomes easier. Maybe I should accelerate that? :wink:

Currently two transactions are sent out per reward (MSC and Test MSC) and I’m rotating 16 spending addresses, but that’s actually an overkill, at least at times like this. With a legit fee transactions will confirm within a reasonable time span and in the worst case transactions are chained, which shouldn’t be a problem, unless someone directly targets the faucet with malled transactions.

To my understanding a XCP send has one standard output to the [font=Verdana]recipient[/font], a one-out-of-two multi signature output with the encoded data payload and a standard output for change.

This results in a transportation cost of 1x 0.0000546 (standard, recipient) + 2x 0.00005[font=Verdana]46[/font] (multi sig, data) + 0.0001 (transaction fee) = 0.0002638 BTC, whereby 0.0001092 BTC are fully recoverable, so the net cost would actually be 0.0001546 BTC.

Bitcoin v0.9 does only reduce the default minrelayfee, but not the mintxfee. Currently transactions with an standard output less then 0.0000546 BTC or a fee less then 0.0001 BTC are neither relayed (forwarded) nor included into a block. The upcoming change affects only the relay part. This basically means “a cheaper transaction is no longer rejected by the network, but still not mined”. This applies only to the standard client of course.

To run this crowdfunded you maybe could store rewards in waiting list, if the BTC/XCP balance is too low and set up some kind of funding wallet + a script that watches the balance, moves coins and broadcasts transactions, if enough was donated.

Cheers!

Thanks for the insight Dexx, I ended up coded a faucet site myself. It should be available in a day or 2. Another idea is to donate Xcp on gambling sites in the way that losing bets are eligible to redeem some Xcp from faucet sites. This should help spreading Xcp to the wild.

Faucet is up,

http://xcp.bfolder.com/

Currently, only bitcointalk users are eligible.
Not sure yet how many XCP to give per person, depending on how many ppl are signed up for the faucet, and the size of donation pool.
Also anybody can run the script to giveaway to the list directly,

Great work romerun! The more XCP that goes into the hands of people who are curious about XCP the better.

Excellent work Romerun. It looks easy and simple enough to use. Nice use of ProphetX’s logo. Maybe a post to the Reddit communities and Twitter?

Why can’t there be any XCP already in there? All of my addresses do and I don’t have any BTC to transfer or to send to a new address to get it recognized in the blockchain.

Great idea and a nice implementation of the faucet, hopefully it’s not abused by beggars and servers to boost adoption of XCP

Nice idea! great job Romerun.

Hey romerun,

tested the faucet yesterday. It works! :slight_smile:

But I received two rewards? Was that intended? :slight_smile:

You are a lucky man! It was the first run and had a script bug, so you got it twice, good to be an early adopter.  ;D

[quote author=dexX link=topic=135.msg1205#msg1205 date=1394555546]
Hey romerun,

tested the faucet yesterday. It works! :slight_smile:

But I received two rewards? Was that intended? :slight_smile:
[/quote]

-------------

just added xcp testnet faucet

http://xcp.bfolder.com/#testxcp

be sure to try out