Counterwalletd Preview thread

First set of screenshots here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/738w1f3kgqik1za/ymr1VCWUv6

[font=verdana]I wasn’t able to get the full set of screenshots because counterpartyd develop is currently in flux. Phantom and I are syncing our changes and it should be stabilized by tomorrow. I’ll gather and throw the rest of the screenshots up then sometime.[/font]

(The 2nd batch will include the functioning DEx interface shots – which are really cool – as well as a the full history page (the current screenshot of it is broken), and the initial chat interface (similar to btc-e’s trollbox). This week I will be working on Assets Portfolio page (similar to coinmarketcap for Counterparty), and hooking in the backend notifications interface into the client. All of that will take a number of days. After that, getting the infrastructure set up and finalized. The site design is responsive, and I’ve done work to allow it to degrade and optimize the display for mobile interfaces – although this is still very untested. Concurrently, counterwalletd is evolving to supply a nice API for things like market data, trade book information, preferences storage, etc that other wallet creators will be able to hook into.)

We will be doing an initial release sometime next week (most likely) on testnet. There will be a thread that provides Test XCP to folks to play around with in their wallets. The more people that can help test and report issues as well as create useful test data, the better (and this will move us towards mainnet more quickly). Also, once I release the code, any help with finding and fixing bugs by any web devs out there will be welcomed and GREATLY appreciated. Once the team is comfortable that any major bugs have been worked out, we will do a formal release on mainnet, where people can use real BTC/XCP, etc.

Thanks!

Will the initial release be open to the public to participate? I’d like to try it out and play with some features I’ve been scared to test out on main net.

Looks great! Good work.

[quote author=xnova link=topic=79.msg685#msg685 date=1392776499]
First set of screenshots here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/738w1f3kgqik1za/ymr1VCWUv6
…[/quote]

Hi Xnova

Good job! The site looks great … If I understand this correctly there is no current way to import the private keys inside so we will have to manually send the XCP to the newly created address?

If that is the case, there is one feature request I would like to put in. Would you allow the ability to “SIGN” message using the counterparty’s wallet’s BTC address from within the web interface? Doing this would open it up to a whole lot of other possibilities and integrations

Cheers

We can’t import private keys wtf …  :’(

[quote author=mtbitcoin link=topic=79.msg692#msg692 date=1392784294]
…[/quote]

Hi Xnova

Good job! The site looks great … If I understand this correctly there is no current way to import the private keys inside so we will have to manually send the XCP to the newly created address?

If that is the case, there is one feature request I would like to put in. Would you allow the ability to “SIGN” message using the counterparty’s wallet’s BTC address from within the web interface? Doing this would open it up to a whole lot of other possibilities and integrations

Cheers
[/quote]

As it’s a deterministic wallet, you can’t strictly import the private keys, but I will be adding in a sweep functionality by the time of mainnet launch. Essentially, you will enter your private key, choose what you want to sweep (BTC, XCP, or both) and it will send the XCP/BTC from the address corresponding with that key to the wallet address you specify. So its effectively an import, you just will have your balance at a different address.

[quote author=xnova link=topic=79.msg694#msg694 date=1392792281]
…[/quote]

Hi Xnova

Cheers
[/quote]

As it’s a deterministic wallet, you can’t strictly import the private keys, but I will be adding in a sweep functionality by the time of mainnet launch. Essentially, you will enter your private key, choose what you want to sweep (BTC, XCP, or both) and it will send the XCP/BTC from the address corresponding with that key to the wallet address you specify. So its effectively an import, you just will have your balance at a different address.
[/quote]

That will work splendidly

Without the sweeping functionality - it will be hard to transfer xcp and btcs from a local or a bitcoininfo address and thus the barrier will not be lowered. This will simplify things greatly

1. What if the address owns other assets apart from xcp and btc?
2. Does the address need to have some btc dust for the sweep to be successful. I have not used the address for anything else since I burnt hence I have a 0 btc balance

…[/quote]

Hi Xnova

Cheers
[/quote]

[/quote]

Will message signing be possible via the deterministic wallet and will this be something available?

Are you considering a Chinese version of the wallet? I can help with the translation.

[quote author=mtbitcoin link=topic=79.msg700#msg700 date=1392802676]
…[/quote]

Hi Xnova

Cheers
[/quote]

[/quote]

Will message signing be possible via the deterministic wallet and will this be something available?
[/quote]

Yes, working on that right now. :slight_smile:

This looks amazing, can’t wait to use it.

[quote author=xnova link=topic=79.msg710#msg710 date=1392835918]
Yes, working on that right now. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Thank you  :slight_smile:

I am new to Counterparty and not a programmer. Although I have made my living online for the last 14 years I am still very non-techie.

Seeing the screenshots of the wallet and reading the description was wonderful for me! Counterparty is going to be a huge success, I am sure of it.

I really look forward to both following this project and perhaps also launching assets on it in the future! :slight_smile:

Sorry, dont have time to read the whole thread/s , will the wallet be an online wallet ? like blockchain.info ?

thanks

[quote author=BitVenturerrrr link=topic=79.msg950#msg950 date=1393616309]
Sorry, dont have time to read the whole thread/s , will the wallet be an online wallet ? like blockchain.info ?

thanks
[/quote]

More like an online version of Electrum. Provide (long) passphrase, wallet generated, nothing is stored.

[font=arial][size=1em]Status update[/size][/font]

[size=1em]Making a lot of progress. Got the following working:[/size]
[size=1em]* Balance page (shows assets functionality)[/size]
[size=1em]* Basic Dex functionality (trading any two arbitrary assets)[/size]
[size=1em]* History page (showing txn history and balance chart)[/size]
[size=1em]* Asset operations (creating asset, locking an asset, paying dividends, etc) are in and working[/size]
[size=1em]* Chat panel (like btc-e’s trollbox)[/size]
[size=1em]* Interface for “priming” an account (e.g. creating small bitcoin txouts so that you can do counterparty operations) is in, as well as showing the number of suitable txouts for each address[/size]
[size=1em]* Message signing (can produce a signed message from an address in your wallet and show it in base64 or hex format)[/size]
[size=1em]* Show a QR code for an address[/size]
[size=1em]* Sending funds (of course :slight_smile: [/size]
[size=1em]* Private key import, can “sweep” in multiple assets, including BTC. Appears to work.[/size]
[size=1em]* Move from electrum deterministic wallet to libbitcoinjs-lib’s new HDwallet (BIP32) implementation[/size]

[size=1em]Written but need to finish testing:[/size]
[size=1em]* counterpartyd realtime message feed support (showing new messages, e.g. balance changes, etc as new blocks are confirmed, without a screen refresh)…still testing this (goal for today is to finish this up)[/size]
[size=1em]* The portfolio page is basically working but we need more test data (e.g. people creating and trading assets) to get any kind of useful feedback on it[/size]

[size=1em]Not written:[/size]
[size=1em]* Block reorg support in counterwalletd: Phantom recently added message feed support for showing when a reorg happened. I just need to hook this into counterwalletd. Not a big deal.[/size]
[size=1em]* Asset description change: Working with Phantom to get support for this into counterparty’s API[/size]

[size=1em]I’m aiming for a small private release this weekend on testnet, followed by a public release on testnet in a few days after, once we’re sure there are no big issues. However, as blockchain.info doesn’t support testnet (just found this out yesterday), that may delay things by a few days, and it will reduce the functionality we offer on testnet…definitely threw a cog into the wheel. (The medium term plan is most likely for counterpartyd to move to libbitcoin, which will allow us to get rid of having to use blockchain’s API for certain things, as well as remove counterpartyd’s dependency on bitcoind.)[/size]

[size=1em]Regarding testnet: Testnet support is proving to be challenging in some ways. I added support into counterwallet and counterwalletd, and I also submitted multiple pulls to bitcoinjs-lib to enhance their testnet support. We do believe releasing on testnet is the more prudent thing to do, but in some ways it’s the “forgotten stepchild” of Bitcoin, from a support perspective in a number of bitcoin products and services.[/size]

[size=1em]The code will be made public on github at the time of the public release.[/size]

Hey xnova,

Have you investigated using biteasy (https://www.biteasy.com/) as a stopgap solution? They offer an API for testnet.

What about Bitpay’s Insight for an open source REST and websocket API? Includes testnet support.

http://insight.bitcore.io

I would use btcd over libbitcoin for sure if you’re looking for improved modularity and performance. What’s wrong with bitcoind that makes libbitcoin worth using?

Guys, thanks for the great feedback. I took a look at both of them (I had seen biteasy before). After talking with Phantom, what we’re going to be doing is working with Insight to provide this info, as it gives us what we need on both mainnet and testnet and will remove the blockchain.info dependency. The only real downside is that it will be another dependency to counterpartyd/counterwalletd, but given the glaring lack of these features being available in bitcoind itself, we believe it’s necessary. The main thing is to remove the dependency on any one centralized 3rd party site, and place everything needed into the counterparty setup itself. This will make things much more robust and decentralized, which is our goal here.

I will be adding this into the docs and federated node build system starting now.

I can’t believe I’m advocating this but if test net is proving to be unlike main net then there’s not much use in having an extended period of testing on test net.