XCP as an alt coin

Hi!  I posted this in the >alt currencies section of the btc forum and got no replies.  Maybe someone around here can help me out :slight_smile:

[font=verdana][size=13px]One thing I don’t understand is how the value of an individual unit of XCP is determined.  I know right now it’s trading at a certain amount relative to BTC based on scarcity since the burn period is over.  Down the road will it trade on utility (i.e. I need one intact unit of XCP to issue shares in my company) or will the value be determined by the assets backing it?[/size][/font]

This is just speculation, but long-term value would probably be affected by the XCP backing large DACs (MONEYPAK is one, AsicMining is looking to get into it too). The value would thus be determined by the implied bitcoin value of any dividend payments.

Thanks.  I’m surprised this is turning out to be such a hard question to have answered.  People are talking about “market price” for XCP but no one can point me at why that price is justified.

When XCP is used in the exchange do you need a whole unit to set up trades?  I.e. if I want to register my company do I need 1.00000000 units of XCP or will .00000001 unit do the trick?  If the latter, it seems like demand cannot source from utility.

[quote author=jimhsu link=topic=42.msg166#msg166 date=1391563541]
This is just speculation, but long-term value would probably be affected by the XCP backing large DACs (MONEYPAK is one, AsicMining is looking to get into it too). The value would thus be determined by the implied bitcoin value of any dividend payments.
[/quote]

Minor nitpick - MONEYPAK and AsicMiner are not DACs. The concept of a “Distributed Autonomous Corporation” refers to the idea of a corporation that exists entirely on the blockchain. i.e. the “company” is nothing more than a set of algorithms; synonymous with “not under human control”. Important for more people to appreciate just how crazy this idea is :slight_smile: I’m not aware of any currently in existence.

[quote author=gacrux link=topic=42.msg338#msg338 date=1391949109]
[quote author=jimhsu link=topic=42.msg166#msg166 date=1391563541]
[/quote]

Minor nitpick - MONEYPAK and AsicMiner are not DACs. The concept of a “Distributed Autonomous Corporation” refers to the idea of a corporation that exists entirely on the blockchain. i.e. the “company” is nothing more than a set of algorithms; synonymous with “not under human control”. Important for more people to appreciate just how crazy this idea is :slight_smile: I’m not aware of any currently in existence.
[/quote]

“But who builds the robots”?

No, they aren’t DACs in the strict sense, but their objective is to perform many of the same functions that a true DAC would do. But no, we haven’t seen a true DAC yet. That’s well into Gibson’s Neuromancer territory.