Right now (March 29, 2017) you’ll need to pay a tx fee of
- around 170 satoshi/byte for a quick confirmation
- around 120 satoshi/byte if you’re willing to wait 1-3 hours
- around 40 satoshi/byte if you don’t mind waiting overnight
A typical Counterparty transaction is somewhere around 270 bytes. This assumes one input and op_return.
The cost per transaction is thus:
- around 0.00045900 BTC (~$0.46) for a quick confirmation
- around 0.00032400 BTC (~$0.32) if you’re willing to wait 1-3 hours
- around 0.00010800 BTC (~$0.11) if you don’t mind waiting overnight
The marginal cost in USD for one byte is ~$0.0017 for a quick confirmation or $0.0004 for a slow confirmation.
Encoding a full address takes 21 bytes, so this alone adds a cost of ~$0.036 for a quick confirmation or $0.008 for a slow confirmation.
TL;DR Every byte counts.