[Q&A] Counterparty Foundation Election 2019 Q&A

[Ryan]

thank you for your comment.
I have to know how people who read my comments feel it.
I was relieved to your comment.
Who are you fighting with?
We will have to get over the walls in the future. And the invisible enemy is in me.
That’s the kind of stop thinking. We must assume that there is an invisible enemy, think and take all possible measures.
This may be the troll you show. If you can feel it, you are an excellent warrior who is essential to NEW / CP.

2 Likes

Hello,

I noticed on the counterparty telegram thread that Sasha Hodder may not be able to accept the position of director even if she is elected.

Would it be possible for someone (Jdog or Sasha?) to officially verify whether or not she is still standing as a candidate for director?

If true, this is unfortunate, as she seemed to be an excellent candidate to help navigate the legal complications that exist for cryptocurrencies and tokens at this time.

1 Like

I agree IJIN,

I was also excited about Sasha.

She could be a real benefit for us and the CP community.

I hope she reconsiders.

TY
Ryan Baptiste :us:
Canidate #2
Still banned from official room for being too enthusiastic and self promoting while being an election candidate! :pray::us:

Yet no one from CP has reached out to me to unban me. It’s mind boggling.

1 Like

Hi potential candidates, i would like to know your view on the following:

• How would you create, maintain and allocate a running fund to cover the following expenses:
    • DevOps:
      • Main servers, web page, bootstrap images hosting. This has been covered by jdog out of pocket for the past year and a half (at least).
      • Circle CI was taken down because the member that paid it went away, we should get that back online again.
      • Improvements and bugfixes need to be tracked by someone, this should be a paid position.
      • Deployment of new instances to geodistribute counterparty.
    • DEV:
      • Bug fixes, Pull request reviewal, version release control, etc.
      • Improvements and additions to the XCP codebase.
      • Development or funding of already existing wallets to further their functionality.
    • PR:
      • Webpage redesign, rebranding (maybe not changing the name, but look at enjincoin’s page and look at ours, which one would you use?)
      • Newsletter, documentation, examples, youtube videos.
      • Social media management and engagement. Not just posting a tweet once a month.

The 3rd DEV point got me worried: as maintainer of the main CP codebase, i can confirm that counterwallet code has become unwieldly and should be replaced by something different altogether. I’ve mentioned in a couple of the most popular places community members gather the possibility of funding an open source release of freewallet (which jdog has mentioned to me could be a reality if there was public action to get the funding done). However, the lack of motivation in this regards has shown me that maybe ppl aren’t that interested on getting this from the ground.

From what i gather, the development funds for CP are running low, and i need to dedicate my working hours to something that pays the bills as i’m not rich myself. That would mean that when the funds get depleted, i’ll have to seek other development opportunities which would mean no more updates to counterparty until someone picks up the slack.

I’m not saying that i’m the only one able to do it, it’s just that i’m the only one doing it right now and that should be an alarm to everyone interested on getting counterparty ahead. Also, this isn’t a threat, it’s just a very real consequence of the state of matters.

3 Likes

Chiguiretior,

I’m well aware of the kindness Jeremy has shown with his funds. I even offered to pay the next 6 months for him!

He turned down my offer because that’s the type of guy he is, a good guy, no doubt.

I just want to make note, even though it doesn’t matter, I did donate $100 to you and 200XCP to Jermey. I even apologized it wasn’t more. (Still banned by dissolved foundation members). I am sincere in everything I say.

Now if you look at my Twitter account, you will see I have a lot of connections in the VC world. Everyone seems to not believe, however with a little research, I think you can notice a pattern.

I have obligations that I cannot talk about in regards to this. Trust isn’t given, it’s earned. I will not break anyone’s trust.

My Twitter handle is @Ryanavenue

Now, as I’ve mentioned before, if we want the foundation to flourish, we need money. No arguing that.

The best and most efficient way to do it is by making XCP worth more by making the product better. I believe your dispensers you have worked so hard on will do this without a doubt. While the funds appreciate, the foundation will gain.

I 100% honestly believe I will bring more funds to CP than anyone can imagine. People can believe me or not, however, I will try no matter what.

I’d much rather have you working for CP full time than elsewhere and that requires money. I will never give up on the quest.

You deserve to be paid more than fairly for your efforts. Same with Jeremy. You guys are world class and I honestly believe that.

It’s an honor to even talk to you.

I have two startups with remote workers in SA. We can utilize them when needed.

Even if I don’t get elected, the offer stands.

As I said before, this has always been my dream. I hold over 6,000 assets and 8,000 XCP.

I’ve been watching you for years John and I’m one of your biggest fans.

Your advice priceless. I will take it, I will listen, and I will lobby for you and your ideas.

No doubt about it.

TY
Ryan Baptiste
Candidate #2

Thank you for the question Chiguireitor.

I will review and edit this post to answer.

I also want to thank you for all the wonderful CIPs you have completed for us.

You and Jeremy are a life saver for the community and I personally will never be able to pay you with enough gratitude. Same with Jeremy.

Hopefully he will just unban me. Surprised it is taking this long!

TY

Election candidate #2

3 Likes

tldr
We need to be careful about what kind of changes are made in order to facilitate the needs of the community and the project itself. Using the protocol and established mechanisms will be integral in planning for the future. Taking on an employee (or staff) could have benefits and drawbacks depending on our approach and if we all want to change the nature of the organization.

The topics brought up are of an interconnected nature, to say the least. This concept of the scientist on staff is one that I have entertained. (It does not appear that the board will be electing a Chief Scientist until the next election.) The concept is that CounterParty is running as a not-for-profit and for some reason, this means to some users that the organization cannot have employees. Instead, I have taken the concept in the opposite direction. While I believe that there should be a developer on staff, I think that this person should not have a conflict of interest as being involved in other CounterParty or similar blockchain projects before being hired. This person will be the epicentre of all the information for the project and therefore I have been considering this person being a qualified employee who agrees to an NDA. In order for this person to be trusted with the future of our project, there should be safeguards in place to help other users feel comfortable confiding our brightest possibilities Because of the very real problem of this hired gun taking the complete mindmap and launching a fork, a non-competition arrangement (legal or social) should be agreed upon during selection of candidates. There are serious lessons to learn from our history.

The third section is quite different than the first two. For the management of funds, the most prudent action would be to separate these into different departments. While every effort should be made to network service partnerships for the rendering of goods and services, sometimes a deadline needs to be met, and without a sponsor, a purchase will need to be made. CounterParty already uses an improvement protocol. It is my current view that these should be used to set up various departments even when ongoing funding is required.

Traction is a problem that can form a feedback loop when it is a losing battle or achievement momentum. There are indicators that outsiders use to measure the health of any cryptosystem. These warning signs can also contribute to actors making decisions that appear to be warning signs to other users or observers. Getting the foundation up and running again is a great first start in establishing cohesion and returning momentum. I am proud to be a part of this process no matter the outcome.

OK. to this brings to head the real question at hand: Are you hinting to the idea that you would like to apply to be a staff-paid developer for CounterParty? It is apparent that you are suggesting it needs to be done, the worker needs to be paid and you are not running for office. This creates the situation in my mind that leads to concerns that need not be addressed at this time. YET, I am in need to clarify that TTBOMK, If the organization has an employee it cannot still be unmistakably not-for-profit, but this is the realm of legal counsel. Point being that first we need to attempt to solve issues within the parameters of the previous system before we start making major changes.

Funding, for example, should be taken with a bit more of a critical eye and more complete approach. What I have noticed since the delisting from two exchanges in one month is that there is a convolution between XCP as a utility token and as a signal of wellness. This concept is paradoxical and therefore nonsensical to thinkers who cannot handle cognitive dissonance. In the system, we have two narratives competing for motives. Investors want to buy XCP at a low cost, and sell for a higher value in order to earn measured profit. On the other hand, the user who needs to pay the anti-spam fee would rather pay less per registration. Here we have two competing parties using the same instrument for opposite reasons.

Here I would like to address an original idea, but not divulge the whole plan. While I would like to discuss every issue brought up in your post, there are only so many that should be publicly accessed right now. However, I would like to reiterate that this platform should be used by the organization in ways that demonstrate command over the medium. Frankly, the foundation should issue additional kinds of tokens in order to better gamify participation and amplify the possibilities for all parties into results.

As a representative, it is my duty to provide the potential to facilitate change, but ultimately the details of which need to be consensual. I will tell you right now that the tone of your whole message seems to assume that a great change will be ushered in. If the organization can afford to do such things as pay an employee, or create additional financial instruments for ongoing business expenses then it will lose the mystique of being unaccountable for things like exchange listing fees. This example, of a cost, is not something that I consider to be popularly accepted use of funds. There is this idea that once there is more traction and more going on for our community, the demands of the outside world will also increase. I am unsure if I am explaining this observation accurately.

:bowing_man: please let me know here if anything needs to be publicly clarified,
and on telegram if you desire details

4 Likes

Nice post Duncan!

Duncan, can you help get me unbanned for being too enthusiastic?

Actually, why is none of the candidates attempting to help me???

I would be the first one to ask if you need help! We shouldn’t stand for censoring!!!

And where is “accountability” with all this???

It’s so ironic we have a permisionless protocol and an election candidate is being banned! Am I the only one who sees a problem with this???

Remember, I am being punished for being too enthusiastic and self promoting during an election.

I was banned for apologizing. This is not a theory, it’s a FACT. The TRUTH!

2 Likes

Notification!

I have been unbanned from the official chat room.

TY Helene and Jeremy and anyone else who lobbied for my return.

I will not discuss this issue again.

Thank you for doing what was right! No hard feelings, my only goal is to make XCP the best crypto on the :earth_americas:.

Candidate #2

3 Likes

Ryan,

I’ve noticed that you use the USA flag emjoi in your posts much more then other candidates.
XCP is a worldwide software platform. In an election that pertains to XCP, what significance does this symbol represent to you and how does it relate to XCP?

Also, I am curious about what you think are valuable leadership skills. Should a leader be dramatic? Should a leader be humble? Should a leader focus on the people who put trust in them or should a great leader focus on themselves?

Thanks for your insights.

4 Likes

Thanks Poorshun!

Yes! I am for the USA. This is my home country and the best in world.

As I’ve stated before, you can use the protocol however you want as long as it’s law abiding activities of the users place of residence.

While CP is a worldwide platform, I will use it to represent myself and my country! It’s my right and I’m proud of that fact.

I think a good leader is anyone who can inspire good change, that can listen to others, and can come to the “truth”.

While some of my posts above may seem selfish, that was not my intent.

My intent was to show the harm of me being banned, an election candidate. (Sorry, I said I would not talk about this again, however it pertains to the question.) It wasn’t for me, it was to prove a point. Hopefully I accomplished that, but maybe not.

My only goal is to make CP the best in the world. If that requires the truth, I will use that.

I’ve continually praised many of our candidates and leaders above.

I am not above anybody, poor, rich, smart,
dumb.

If anyone would like to talk via phone. My line is always open.

Thank you!

If you look at this link via my Twitter, you will see I’m 100% serious. That is all I wear.

2 Likes

Hi CP community!

I will have a major announcement in 36 hours.

Please hold any voting powers until then.

It means a lot, more than you can imagine to me to get into the foundation as a board member and join these incrediably smart fellow candidates.

TY
Candidate #2

2 Likes

Chiguiretior,

My view on what CP is deteriorating

To revive CP I think it is important to think about the position of the person who purchases XCP.
We need to find a sense of security and goals by buying XCP. If the individual sets the unit price appropriately, causes the bubble, and feels that the person who bought it feels lost, as in the present, it will never get close again. In order not to do so, bidding rules are required. You should guarantee the value of your token by the amount of XCP held. You need to collect XCP yourself to increase the value of your token.

If the buyer recognizes that XCP can express the value of one person’s life, I think that the current price is too low.

The day will surely come when many people think that they want to buy XCP at BTC.

And it is important for us to create a mechanism that does not make our supporters feel lost.

The main issue is the cost of operating the current CP.

First of all, I think it is necessary to deposit the XCP of the XCP mass holder of the board of directors in the system.

In this way, the buyer will be sold a large amount of XCP and will not suffer from valuation losses.

Then, it is good for the XCP deposited to be automatically returned to the deposited person by the system whenever the value of the XCP goes up. The Foundation should collect a 10% fee upon return.

Those who deposit will no longer need to keep pace with the change in value of XCP. I think that I can fix the free XCP, and the purchaser can recognize the rarity.

I think the goal is to raise the value of XCP and get it back. Those who wish to purchase XCP can also have a sense of security that can not be sold in large quantities by the whims of mass holders.

However, in order to raise funds for the time being, if the trust of Dr.SATOSI NAKAMOTO can be obtained and the BTC can raise the value of the initial XCP, it can show a sense of presence in the society, and development funds Will also bring about an effect that can be obtained.

If I am more capable, and 2,860,000 XRP or 50 BTC, which was taken away from my purchase when XRP is obout 0.5 JPY, is returned from Gatehub, I will be able to make more donations, but now I am giving it to myself. There is no ability. I purchased only 100XCP in 1 BTC at the time of 2015. The price of XCP is currently too low.

I feel that the value of being able to put my token on BTC BLOCKCHAIN ​​is nearly infinite, no matter how many people let out XCP and sell it cheaply. However, although fate may be entrusted to the future rule making, I do not think that the genius who can be here will misjudge. Let us complete a CP that is full of consideration by our fingers. The people here should definitely do it. And be sure to win the trust of the buyer. BTC is there to buy XCP. XCP is an important favorite for me.

Human beings are creatures that can create the purpose of their own life.

2 Likes

Excellent!

This is a man who doesn’t speak English! That’s effort!

I also believe XCP will be worth more than BTC!

2 Likes

Where are the individuals asking for votes located?

I am located in New York City

What do the individuals plan to do specifically with the foundation?

I plan to fulfill my duties as established by the Counterparty bylaws to the best of my ability with the end goal of promoting counterparty use and adoption. I would also like to work on educational outreach as part of this goal producing point of sale marketing materials that explains what counterparty is, and what it can do in easy to understand language with graphics.

What are the most important issues for them and how will they tackle these specific issues?

Teaching people why they may want to use Counterparty and how they can use it if they choose.
Getting BTC pair transactions to somehow ‘work’ better on the DEx. I am not a developer though so I am open to suggestions and testing

Collecting funds for an org with generalized concepts but no detailed plans or goals makes it difficult to assess future accountability and integrity.

Counterparty has a roadmap (https://counterparty.io/roadmap/), I think it’s a relatively well detailed plan, although I am open to expanding it. I also don’t see my role as primarily to collect funds, it would be nice but I don’t think fundraising in the end all be all of my service as a community director.

You have $5000 in funds that must be spent within your first month at the new foundation. Break down how you would use those funds and why.

$3,500 on servers and infrastructure. J Dog has indicated he, out of pocket, pays about ~$500 USD a month to keep some of the nuts and bolts of Counterparty going. My understanding is one of the reasons for freewallet is still ‘locked’ without and access token is because unlocking it for the masses would increase these costs. If we assume $500 a month that pays the bills for 7 months.

$1,000 Educational Point of Sale Marketing Materials – these can be distributed for free via post to anyone who submits and application that they want to distribute them at a meetup or conference event. These will last for a while and getting them printed on demand vastly increases the cost and considering we have to spend the money I think it’s a good investment to go a little bigger and have them sitting around.

$250 on setting up and funding a Counterparty (the non-profit organization) exchange account that is legally compliant for use of currency conversion by the foundation.

$250 misc money for fees, petty cash, ideas open to entire community. Why? Gotta have some fun and occasionally pay some fees to move $

2 Likes

Hi potential candidates, i would like to know your view on the following:
How would you create, maintain and allocate a running fund to cover the following expenses:
o DevOps:
:clubs: Main servers, web page, bootstrap images hosting. This has been covered by jdog out of pocket for the past year and a half (at least).

I wouldn’t really want to make this decision on my own on how exactly the “power” is handed off but I think 1) either an agreement to contribute to (or preferably entirely pay for) the specific servers currently run, or 2) the foundation itself should establish the required accounts and maintainers to mimic that infrastructure.

:clubs: Circle CI was taken down because the member that paid it went away, we should get that back online again.

I’m not currently familiar with this project (quick googling I think I see what you are talking about) but I think, unless sustainable reoccurring funds are obtain that the Counterparty foundation money should be left more for maintaining Counterparty infrastructure (see above)

:clubs: Improvements and bugfixes need to be tracked by someone, this should be a paid position.

I need to become more familiar with the current way this works to really answer but yes I agree CIP implementation and bug bounties are a valuable incentive and within the scope of the foundation’s mission. As to if this should be paid, or perhaps within the scope of a foundation member serving as secretary, I don’t know.

:clubs: Deployment of new instances to geodistribute counterparty.

Agreed, we need more then 1 backbone for our decentralize projects and it would make no sense to locate them within one specific geography, again see answer to bullet 1.

o DEV:
:clubs: Bug fixes, Pull request reviewal, version release control, etc.

Currently seems to work fine, I’d need to be brought up to speed on the current caveats or problems to have a real opinion.

:clubs: Improvements and additions to the XCP codebase.

I am hard fork adverse. I am pro additional optional features if they are tested and ‘don’t break anything’ – then people are free to use them

:clubs: Development or funding of already existing wallets to further their functionality.

I’d have to answer this on a case-by-case basis. The criteria, generally, would be ‘does this help everyone that uses counterparty?’ and/or ‘does this help more people use counterparty?’

o PR:
:clubs: Webpage redesign, rebranding (maybe not changing the name, but look at enjincoin’s page and look at ours, which one would you use?)

I’d consider it but not interested in spending much money on it. Perhaps I’m a grump but I’d rather look at counterparty’s site then enjincoin’s (my first time viewing it I don’t know that project)

:clubs: Newsletter, documentation, examples, youtube videos.

Do as much as you can for as little money as long as it’s not annoying (aka to many emails)

:clubs: Social media management and engagement. Not just posting a tweet once a month.

I’d be happy to do it myself, again not something I’d pay money for. I do think social media posting should be vetted by the foundation members and not up to a single individual though.

The 3rd DEV point got me worried: as maintainer of the main CP codebase, i can confirm that counterwallet code has become unwieldly and should be replaced by something different altogether. I’ve mentioned in a couple of the most popular places community members gather the possibility of funding an open source release of freewallet (which jdog has mentioned to me could be a reality if there was public action to get the funding done). However, the lack of motivation in this regards has shown me that maybe ppl aren’t that interested on getting this from the ground.

I’ve donated… and I have xchainpepe so I have all the functionality… I stan freewallet.io so I will continue to spread the word and hope people donate. Also see answer for “Development or funding of already existing wallets to further their functionality.

From what i gather, the development funds for CP are running low, and i need to dedicate my working hours to something that pays the bills as i’m not rich myself. That would mean that when the funds get depleted, i’ll have to seek other development opportunities which would mean no more updates to counterparty until someone picks up the slack.
I’m not saying that i’m the only one able to do it, it’s just that i’m the only one doing it right now and that should be an alarm to everyone interested on getting counterparty ahead. Also, this isn’t a threat, it’s just a very real consequence of the state of matters.

This isn’t really a question, but yes I acknowledge it as a problem. I hope a foundation can address this issue but I’m not sure how many deep pockets really are out there.

2 Likes

Thank you Ryan.

I am encouraged by your response.

Although I think that the text I wrote may not convey the meaning as English, I write sentences.

I do not want CP to be the same mechanism as stocks.
People with the ability to make people happy become more happy, and they can reach out to those who are unhappy. We hope that you want CP members to create such a familiar CP mechanism. I have proposed that design.

2 Likes

And thank you all.
And thank you to everyone who put me a vote.

I do not intend to vote for myself. Because I can not program CP by myself.
If I can tell one way of thinking at this place, my work is almost finished. It is like giving me the test of having to master English once I have been elected. At that time, I enjoy my hardship.

2 Likes

GSOS!

Do not vote for me! Leave me at 1 vote!

If someone votes me in, I will resign!

I will put all my votes towards you sir! You deserve it!!!

Candidate #2

2 Likes

Ryan
I am who you are … OK
First of all, I read your text English hard.

I would like to say one more thing.

Every person should reaffirm that they have gained much more than modern supercomputers that were born together without breaking the light of life ever since the birth of the earth without exception about 4.6 billion years.

This existence is one of the laws of the universe that can not escape the infinite possibilities

± 0 = infinite

Is showing.

That is one of the reasons why you feel your baby is mysterious.

2 Likes

I am located in Ontario Canada just outside of Toronto. The land of the nice and determined.

I plan on helping the foundation identify weakness in the CP ecosystem and address those weakness asap. The most important issues from my perspective are 1) getting XCP relisted on exchanges 2) Updating the website to a modernized look and feel 3) updating and releasing an official counterparty wallet that is also mobile 4) addressing/updating the newsletter and social media profiles 5) continuing on CIPS and code base. I will reply later with more details on these points.

If we had $5000 in funds that need to be spent, I think that money would best go towards maintance and server costs for the next year. Currently Jdog has been covering these expenses on his own. CP needs to take back the costs of operation rather then relying on help from one person.

I have more detailed thoughts on my next post and the ones to follow.

Thanks.

Long Live CP.

Ryan Peters

3 Likes