The Counterparty asset system needs to run smoothly whether one XCP costs $0.10 or $1000 and whether there are one hundred users or one million users. I believe only a price mechanism can ensure this.
The suggestion is a follows:
- Every 1000 blocks (approx. once a week)
- Count the number of newly registered assets within the previous 1000 blocks
- If more than 1300 assets registered, increase the fee by 10% (factor of 1.1)
- If less than 700 assets registered, decrease the fee by ~9.1% (factor of 1/1.1)
- Else keep the fee unchanged