How Do I Buy XCP?

What’s the safest way to buy and store Counterparty?

You mean XCP? You can get them from these exchanges: http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/counterparty/#markets and store them in your Counterwallet https://counterwallet.io

To clarify a bit for a newbie:

1. You buy at one of the exchanges

2. Then optionally you can create a wallet at countewallet.io and send (Withdraw) from your account at the exchange to your Counterwallet address. Make sure you write down the pass phrase for Counterwallet because unlike at most cryptoexchanges, there is no pass phrase reset or recovery.
If you want to get even more secure, you can use Armory with Counterwallet (search for Armory on the Counterparty Support site)

The SAFEST way to store XCP is to create an offline Bitcoin wallet (preferably using a usb/cd bootable Linux distribution), and send your XCP there. Make sure to reliably write down your public and private keys.

As long as you know the private key, you will be able to import your funds into Counterwallet later. This way your XCP will be as secure as any cold-storage Bitcoins, until you are ready to access them.

Make sure to reliably write down your public and private keys.

It’s safer to write down the pass phrase because if found, it may not be clear what’s it for (unless you nicely write the URL too). If you find a piece of paper with a bitcoin address and a string that resembles a private key, you can steal the contents with 3 minutes.

@deliciousowl How do you store XCP in a offline Bitcoin paper wallet if it’s not Bitcoin but XCP?   

<div class="Meta CommentMeta CommentInfo">
        <span class="MItem DateCreated">
           </span><span class="MItem CommentFlag"><br></span>         </div>

Marketorder
@deliciousowl How do you store XCP in a offline Bitcoin paper wallet if it’s not Bitcoin but XCP?  

All BTC addresses = XCP addresses.

> something

Make sure to reliably write down your public and private keys.
It’s safer to write down the pass phrase because if found, it may not be
clear what’s it for (unless you nicely write the URL too). If you find a
piece of paper with a bitcoin address and a string that resembles a
private key, you can steal the contents with 3 minutes.

True, unless there is malware on the computer.

@marketorder see the Armory tutorial on the support site

True, unless there is malware on the computer.

By “write down” I mean write down on a piece of paper.
If you store a digital copy, well, then your chances are not good.

Store XCP in Armory or a Bitcoin paper wallet. You can always import the private key to Counterwallet when you need it.

I store mine on a paper wallet produced by piper wallet, piper has a robust entropy and I assume the device has never been connected the internet, nor will it ever be connected.