Counterwalletd Preview thread

[font=verdana][size=1em]Development update[/size][/font]

[size=1em]New screenshots are up at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/738w1f3kgqik1za/ymr1VCWUv6[/size]

[size=1em]At this point we are looking to do a beta release on testnet early next week. Progress is going well, but we want to fix as many bugs as possible before we release to make the public testing process as smooth as possible, as we are still anticipating finding plenty of bugs, especially as more data is created on testnet and visualized.[/size]

[size=1em]We will also be formally soliciting shortly for a full-time development position to help with Counterparty and Counterwallet development. Interested candidates must have top-tier web (Javascript, HTML, CSS) and Python skills, and a strong interest in the project and a passion with the technology. The role would start out with bug fixing with Counterwallet, counterwalletd, and counterpartyd, and then move from there into working with Phantom and I on full feature development (we have a lot of cool ideas in the pipeline). We also have a need for Selenium-based test suite development around Counterwallet (using their Python webdriver), as well as counterwalletd unit test development. [/size]

[size=1em]Oh, and Mastercoin: You can send the $100 to address 1NgYmv5nnsVTGafV9JnR9e7mDvTDeJLfaq. Thanks! :smiley: [/size]

[quote author=xnova link=topic=79.msg1235#msg1235 date=1394728090]

[size=1em]New screenshots are up at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/738w1f3kgqik1za/ymr1VCWUv6[/size]

[size=1em]At this point we are looking to do a beta release on testnet early next week. Progress is going well, but we want to fix as many bugs as possible before we release to make the public testing process as smooth as possible, as we are still anticipating finding plenty of bugs, especially as more data is created on testnet and visualized.[/size]

[size=1em]We will also be formally soliciting shortly for a full-time development position to help with Counterparty and Counterwallet development. Interested candidates must have top-tier web (Javascript, HTML, CSS) and Python skills, and a strong interest in the project and a passion with the technology. The role would start out with bug fixing with Counterwallet, counterwalletd, and counterpartyd, and then move from there into working with Phantom and I on full feature development (we have a lot of cool ideas in the pipeline). We also have a need for Selenium-based test suite development around Counterwallet (using their Python webdriver), as well as counterwalletd unit test development. [/size]

[size=1em]Oh, and Mastercoin: You can send the $100 to address 1NgYmv5nnsVTGafV9JnR9e7mDvTDeJLfaq. Thanks! :smiley: [/size]
[/quote]

Great news! We will feature this on our site http://www.bountyfulcoins.com and share with devs that might be interested!

New screenshots looking good.  Make it very ready before launch to public, few day or week more time to orginal plan is not bad if its working really good without bugs :slight_smile:

[quote author=flayway link=topic=79.msg1249#msg1249 date=1394746736]
New screenshots looking good.  Make it very ready before launch to public, few day or week more time to orginal plan is not bad if its working really good without bugs :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Yes. We have enough time to wait.

[quote author=xcptime link=topic=79.msg1252#msg1252 date=1394760641]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I’ll jump on the train here. +1

[quote author=xnova link=topic=79.msg1235#msg1235 date=1394728090]

[/quote]

Booyah! +1.00000000

[quote author=Matt Y link=topic=79.msg1256#msg1256 date=1394770420]
[quote author=xcptime link=topic=79.msg1252#msg1252 date=1394760641]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I’ll jump on the train here. +1
[/quote]

well I would like to see ltbcoin on the counterparty protocol - until now the strategy was to test things afaik on mainnet, with the disclaimer that it early alpha software. for me that was fine. adam said he can wait until the end of the month with ltbcoin and that would be fine.

Btw why in one picture is testnet btc burn option? https://www.dropbox.com/sh/738w1f3kgqik1za/jHXiXXQyle/cw12.png

[quote author=flayway link=topic=79.msg1261#msg1261 date=1394796265]
Btw why in one picture is testnet btc burn option? https://www.dropbox.com/sh/738w1f3kgqik1za/jHXiXXQyle/cw12.png
[/quote]

You can earn [em]test XCP[/em] by burning [em]test BTC[/em].

It will of course be impossible to burn BTC when Counterwallet goes live on mainnet.

Cross posted from the BCT thread:

[quote author=BitThink link=topic=395761.msg5686721#msg5686721 date=1394761621]
[quote author=xnova link=topic=395761.msg5678741#msg5678741 date=1394728224]
Latest Counterwallet development update (with new screenshots):

https://forums.counterparty.co/index.php/topic,79.msg1235.html#msg1235
[/quote]
Great work.

One question:
Since the web wallet is based on pass phrases, there’s no way to import private keys. Hence, the users have to send their XCP holding to a new address generated by the web wallet, right? In this case, my previous prediction that the web wallet will bring a lot of sellers immediately may be not so correct, hence they still have to install all the dependency before they can send their XCP.
[/quote]

There is “sweep” functionality (I have a screenshot of the dialog provided). You basically input a private key string into the Private Key textbox in the dialog, Counterwallet then gets the address associated with it, queries it for balances (BTC, XCP, any assets), and you can sweep over one or more of those into one of the addresses in your wallet. Since, yes, the wallet is deterministic and we don’t want to store any private keys on the servers, this is the way that we can handle imports. Hopefully that helps clear some things up.

And if people want to sell their XCP as soon as the web wallet comes out, they should go for it. I think it’s kind of like stepping over a dollar to pick up a nickel though. :slight_smile: (Unless it’s a small amount to, say, reimburse the initial investment during burn.)

Cross-posted from the BCT thread:

[quote author=halfcab123 link=topic=395761.msg5687734#msg5687734 date=1394767481]
Xnova: 2 questions if you have time. I know you are busy making magical things that will make us all very happy.

1. Are we going to be able to import private keys ? I hope to God lol. This could put a damper on new investors being able to even use this if they have XCP associated with a Bitcoin address on blockchain.info and have no way to send these xcp to the wallet or import the private key for the addresses that have xcp.

2. I’m a developer, I’m very interested on how to setup a server that syncs the bitcoin blockchain, I assume thats in the Bitcoin wiki ? ANy idea where ? And then how to get counterpartyd to run on the server, but most importantly how to interface and keep track of several user accounts. Is this setup going to be like blockchain.info where the server doesn’t actually have access to the user accounts ? Like andreas antonopolous said about blockchain.

EDIT: Also what extra security measures are going to be in place beyond that which the hosting service provides, unless of course you are hosting your own. In addition, last question, how is this being funded, upkeep etc., ?
[/quote]

1. See my response to BitThink on this matter.

2. That’s a pretty open question. :slight_smile: In the scope of Counterwallet, it does not keep track of “user accounts”, as this concept does not really exist. (See https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Deterministic_wallet for more info.) It does, however, double hash the seed (pass phrase) client-side and store that on the server, as a key to retrieve that user’s stored preferences (i.e. # of addresses created, UI theme and language selected, address nickname/label storage, etc). None of this information stored is particularly sensitive, and even the non-watch addresses that have stored nicknames are hashed client-side before being stored on the server so that even if someone were to get the server data, they couldn’t gather any info on address associations/groupings. That data is pretty much worthless as far as an attacker is concerned.

If you made your own system, you could of course have user accounts, or take a more blockchain.info approach, where you had a wallet file stored server side and encrypted, and the decryption was done client side. As Counterwallet itself is a deterministic wallet, it does not have this approach. However, there are pros and cons to each method. (Effective 2 factor authentication, for instance, is something that is…challenging…with HD wallets, but we have plans in the future around that.)

The core team is going to operate the main Counterwallet site, but anyone is welcome to set up their own Counterwallet server and run it. The cool part is that you can log in at our site, or your site, or anyone else’s Counterwallet site, and have access to your same addresses and balances. (Only your preferences will not persist across platforms.) This makes Counterwallet highly resistant, because even if the main site went away, people could simply host their own Counterwallet sites and still have full access to their funds.

We provide a full guide for doing this at http://counterpartyd-build.readthedocs.org/en/develop/SettingUpAFederatedNode.html  …note that this script we provide is only for Ubuntu 13.10…no plans to support existing OSes/versions (beyond 14.04 LTS when it comes out), due to the amount of things this script does…also plans to move to a more elegant build system in the future than that…still, it works.

That document also outlines some of the security precautions we take with the main Counterwallet servers. (To answer your other point, we operate our own dedicated servers at several datacenters.) Also, these servers are not like MtGox, where if someone were to get the data on them, they could take all of your money. However, modifying the source code on the servers (which is sent to clients as they load the wallet) is a potential issue with Counterwallet and any other site, for that matter. To that point, we are putting automated off-server verification procedures in place that can detect this and alert on it, as well as several security precautions.

This all is self-funded. The recurring costs aren’t too bad, actually, and we will be able to maintain and fund the primary site indefinitely (donations are always welcome though, and DO help out).

Hopefully that answered your questions.

Can’t wait! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  ;D