Some TRUE statements about Assets - Alphabetic / Numeric / Sub

Some TRUE statements about assets

1. If an asset starts with the letter A then it is a Numeric Asset (NA)
  2. If an asset does not start with the letter A and does not contain a . then it is an Alphabetic Asset (AA)
  3. If an asset contains at least one . (period) then it is a Sub-Asset (SA)
  4. All SA are also NA but not all NA are SA
  5. AA, NA, SA have identical properties except for name convention and that only the owner of an AA has the right to issue to a SA
  6. The SA name always begins with the name of its AA parent followed by a . (period)
  7. The owner can issue more tokens unless locked, lock the asset, and, regardless of locked or unlocked, change description and transfer ownership
  8. issuer is pseunonemous with owner (however, the 3rd party service Blockscan uses issuer as the orignal owner)

Please let me know of any mistakes or ambiguities. I will keep the above list updated.

There is no distinction between issuer and owner.

The owner may change over time. But after ownership is transferred, the new owner becomes the issuer.

Say Alice (1aaaaaa) issues 10 of a new asset, SOUP, and then she transfers that asset to Bob (1bbbbbb). Bob’s address is now the owner and issuer. If I call get_asset_info for SOUP I will get an issuer of 1bbbbbb, because Bob is now the issuer.

However, the historical ownership of SOUP is still available. If I call get_issuances, I will see 2 entries:

1. 10 SOUP with issuer: 1aaaaaa (The original issuance)
  2. 0 SOUP with issuer: 1bbbbbb (The transfer)

Thanks for clarifying.

It seems that the 3rd party service Blockscan defines issuer as the original owner, which led to the confusion. I’ve updated the statements in the first post.

http://blockscan.com/assetInfo/Pepe

Got it. Here is a labeling scheme that is closer to the data as stored in Counterparty server:

1 Like