[Proposal] DEXR.CO (Distributed Exchange Ratings Company)

[quote author=sparta_cuss link=topic=220.msg2050#msg2050 date=1398185664]
[color=#ff0000]Red:[/color]
This is confusing. For comparison I am thinking of how eBay or Amazon work. Any particular vendor is treated like a “store,” and their reputation is part of their identity. They can sell whatever assets they want, and their reputation remains separate from the “product ratings” on individual products. Is this the kind of thing you had in mind? This only makes sense if it’s possible for two separate asset issuers to offer the exact same asset type. For example, Vendor ABC on eBay and Vendor XYZ on eBay both sell a particular kind of Levi’s Jeans. They don’t produce the product; they merely act as a purveyor of a product made by someone else. So it’s possible that they are each offering the “same” product. That product has a “rating” associated with it that is logically (and programmatically) distinct from the vendor and the vendor’s reputation.

[font=Verdana]I am not sure whether this is the right model for what you are proposing. Is it the case that asset issuers would only ever sell assets that they are creating? We need some use cases to explore this further. [/font]
[/quote]

Useful feedback, thanks. I picked the route of having the trust scores mapped to assets rather than issuers because I thought it seemed to make sense that when you’re buying “insurance” on an asset, you’d be betting on a score that’s related to the asset rather than the issuer. On reflection, I think your way is more intuitive, and actually slightly easier to implement, too.

I would like to be one of the first in line to have this done to my company

Yes, this seems like a superb idea and definitely takes into account the scale and growth of the dEX. It seems like there would be quite a ton of work, almost a company in and of itself to assess all this data and categorize it. How would you procure funding for this project and what would be the hierarchical structure of staff and authority?

The more I think about it, the more beneficial and essential a project like this could be to Counterparty. I’m just trying to wrap my head around the idea of how to establish “decentralized” ratings and reviews. If you do this incorrectly then it is possible for exploit and favoritism as seen by the Bitcoin Foundation and various Bitcoin Sports book review sites.

Thanks Aaron. I’ve just recently taken a formal role on the Counterparty team, so it seems unlikely that I’ll have time to develop this project myself (and you’re right, it’s too big for one person anyhow).

What I’ll do instead is put together a team to make sure DEXR, or something like it, gets developed.

If anyone is interested in being a part of this project, please PM me.