Logo/branding development

This second representation forms an X (our symbol) and more accurately shows the "exchanging" process as one with buyers and sellers:

I like this one.

I would suggest that the first and second option are both acceptable. Pushing two options out will allow sites to have a color choice so they can pick whatever fits best within their own color scheme.

I think they all look good.

[quote author=TV link=topic=28.msg485#msg485 date=1392372070]
I would strongly recommend running a 99designs.com logo contest. The options in this thread are a start, but you want to select from hundreds if not thousands of options early on.

99designs.com is meant for this sort of thing.

Unless MattY’s designer buddy has something up his sleeve that is…

MattY, if you’re going to be on clearnet, running a 99designs contest would be immensely helpful, as they do not accept BTC payments.

Also, I see no discussion of who the target audience is. All I’ve seen so far are attempts at guessing what may look good to an ideal prospect.

99designs can help flesh out dozens of different angles, but there still needs to be a discussion on who the target audience is, otherwise you won’t know which angle to go with.

Who is the MVP user of Counterparty? Who will be demanding the most XCP in 1 year? What does that person fear the most? What is his age? Career? Relationship status? Geolocation? What motivates him? Let’s form a mental image of this person. Sit him down across the table from you. How are you going to sell him on Counterparty? What is your elevator pitch and how does your branding add to your pitch?

These are difficult exercises that can mean the difference between projectile vomiting worthless bullshit at a wall and pursuing a targeted and informed marketing campaign that evokes the right emotions in your most valuable potential users.

I’m convinced we can do this better than Ethereum if we put on our thinking caps…
[/quote]
Good suggestion.

A basic design price for that site is $299 / quite reasonable considering the amounts we’re offering in bounties right now.

Some of their examples can be seen at: http://99designs.com/logo-design

They are no stranger to crypto it seems: https://99designs.com/logo-business-card-design/contests/create-logo-bitcoin-atm-card-itself-285693

Though I personally want to adopt some sort of corporate / financial look - like these, but “friendlier”. These really hit home on the “targeted audience” point (seriousness, reliability, integrity).

Also for another exercise: Take this list http://coinmarketcap.com/, cover up everything except for the 16x16px logo, and glance at the screen. Which immediately a) stands out, or b) gets lost in a blobby mess? I want counterparty to be in list (a). Meanwhile even with well-known coins such as Peercoin, I absolutely cannot tell what that logo is trying to refer to at 16px.

Here’s another financial-related entry:

I know "they’re evil", but I think a project like counterparty should be targeting the look of the major traditional / investment banks out there, but with the "bitcoin flair":

Some of the better designed cryptos: (there’s no need for everything to "look like a coin" as much of the altcoin forums is intent on doing)

I think you get the idea…

In other words - if you were launching a global investment bank for the 21st century … what would it look like?

[quote author=TV link=topic=28.msg485#msg485 date=1392372070]
I would strongly recommend running a 99designs.com logo contest. The options in this thread are a start, but you want to select from hundreds if not thousands of options early on.

99designs.com is meant for this sort of thing.

Unless MattY’s designer buddy has something up his sleeve that is…

MattY, if you’re going to be on clearnet, running a 99designs contest would be immensely helpful, as they do not accept BTC payments.

Also, I see no discussion of who the target audience is. All I’ve seen so far are attempts at guessing what may look good to an ideal prospect.

99designs can help flesh out dozens of different angles, but there still needs to be a discussion on who the target audience is, otherwise you won’t know which angle to go with.

Who is the MVP user of Counterparty? Who will be demanding the most XCP in 1 year? What does that person fear the most? What is his age? Career? Relationship status? Geolocation? What motivates him? Let’s form a mental image of this person. Sit him down across the table from you. How are you going to sell him on Counterparty? What is your elevator pitch and how does your branding add to your pitch?

These are difficult exercises that can mean the difference between projectile vomiting worthless bullshit at a wall and pursuing a targeted and informed marketing campaign that evokes the right emotions in your most valuable potential users.

I’m convinced we can do this better than Ethereum if we put on our thinking caps…
[/quote]

First off, whoever hacked the TV account in order to troll me by talking about “targeted and informed marketing campaigns”… Well done, sir, whoever you may be. :wink:

That said, it’s important to consider we are not just designing a logo, but also doing a redesign of the entire site. I assure you that careful thought and consideration is going into the design of both the logo and site.

With regards to 99 Designs, to be brutally honest, this project deserves better, and it has better.

I can get something on 99 Designs done if you guys really want that, however, it’s important to note that the founders will be paying for that out of their pocket or the pocket of a donation address and in my opinion it would be a waste.

[quote author=TV link=topic=28.msg492#msg492 date=1392406947]
The potential market size of XCP is actually quite a bit larger than BTC. We can afford to pay for a premium design 1000 times over.
[/quote]

What donation addresses are you looking at exactly? :wink:

Again, looking forward to the whole redesign concept. Posting incremental updates (even just concept screenshots) would definitely sate the appetite of many on these forums.

[quote author=jimhsu link=topic=28.msg499#msg499 date=1392420150]
Again, looking forward to the whole redesign concept. Posting incremental updates (even just concept screenshots) would definitely sate the appetite of many on these forums.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I do not have any screenshots to share. I have not seen anything yet.

I can provide updates.

1. Design is continuing on the originally stated timeline.
2. The designer has been made aware of this thread and does read your comments and ideas.
3. I have chatted at length with the founders and have passed their thoughts on as well.
4. The designer spent a significant amount of time researching Counterparty as well as digital currency in general.
5. I have a front-end web developer ready to put the designs together into a fully functioning website once they are ready.

Hope this helps.

[quote author=Matt Y link=topic=28.msg509#msg509 date=1392442087]
[quote author=jimhsu link=topic=28.msg499#msg499 date=1392420150]
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I do not have any screenshots to share. I have not seen anything yet.

I can provide updates.

1. Design is continuing on the originally stated timeline.
2. The designer has been made aware of this thread and does read your comments and ideas.
3. I have chatted at length with the founders and have passed their thoughts on as well.
4. The designer spent a significant amount of time researching Counterparty as well as digital currency in general.
5. I have a front-end web developer ready to put the designs together into a fully functioning website once they are ready.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Great, keep us updated. Best of luck.

One last thing before I retire for the weekend: there’s no need for counterparty to “look like a coin”. This project has already shown itself to be much more than that. Experiment. Try out radical stuff. Hate to say this, but “think different”.

[quote author=TV link=topic=28.msg514#msg514 date=1392450213]
[quote]First off, whoever hacked the TV account in order to troll me by talking about “targeted and informed marketing campaigns”… Well done, sir, whoever you may be. :wink: [/quote]

You seem to be taking this personally, which was not my intention. I assumed from reading your post here:

[quote]I would suggest that the first and second option are both acceptable. Pushing two options out will allow sites to have a color choice so they can pick whatever fits best within their own color scheme.[/quote]

that neither you nor your designer buddy had any plans for the logo. If you had plans for the logo, I’m not sure why you would deem any in this thread “acceptable”. I’m not sure I agree with that assessment.

I’m sure the XCP community can fundraise $2k. With the investors involved, that’s small change. Never would I suggest for the XCP devs pay for it out of pocket when this is something that benefits the community equally.

The logos in this thread will not stand up against 100-1000 as submitted on 99designs. I understand if you doubt the validity of 99designs, a lot of professional designers detest the site. $2k for a logo though, I don’t think it’s unfair for designers to expend 4-5 hours producing a basic concept. There’s something about putting 100s of eyeballs on a creative project that exponentially enhances the process. I will be happy to provide you with help writing the creative brief and give pointers on how to run a 99designs contest successfully. It is a lot of work.

You’re a poker guy, right? I’m willing to bet we will find at least one promising logo out of 1000 (0.1%) submitted that is better than what we’ve seen so far in this thread should we offer a $2000 guaranteed prize for a logo on 99designs with input driven by the wider XCP community. I maintain this maximizes creativity and will lead to a positive result for everyone. I also maintain that $2k is pocket change.

[quote]With regards to 99 Designs, to be brutally honest, this project deserves better, and it has better.[/quote]

OK, really looking forward to your buddy’s logo then.

BTW- is your buddy “above” looking at 100-1000 different design angles before he begins doing work, and “above” discussing and defending his viewpoints on who is the target audience of Counterparty? Are you above that? What is your methodology exactly?

This isn’t a collaborative project right now, that has been my chief complaint and you can check my post history to verify.

We’ve heard exactly this from you:

[quote]I’m paying to have a professional homepage redesign done. This will include a new logo. Please hold off on further graphics work until I deliver it. Promise
it will be great.[/quote]

OK that is legitimate as fuck. But is no reason to discount or detest a lively community debate over brand identity. I’ve yet to see you prove why you’re worthy of being handed the entire task without a public discussion. That isn’t congruent with an open source ideal. I’m rather unimpressed by your acceptance of lackluster logos and insistence that your friend will be doing something at some point. I’ve not seen any exact dates, and we’ve seen nothing posted by your friends involved here. Nor have we seen you defend your ideas to this forum. You seem confident enough to at least challenge me on the substance of what I’ve posted so far. I don’t intend to do anything but provoke productive discussion on design direction and brand identity. This is a very dangerous thing to pidgeonhole on one person who refuses to reason publicly about his choices.
[/quote]

Hi,

Addressing your points in order:

I was making a joke, that’s why I used the winky face. :wink:

I do take this project personally, I am both financially and ethically invested. I want nothing but the best for Counterparty. However, I do not take our lively conversations personally and I hold no animosity towards you. I actually enjoy that you are so passionate and that you are unconcerned about anything besides the project. I think it’s a good thing and I would hate for you to pull any punches with me. Where would this project be without a diverse group of passionate people?

I suggested the arrow design be used because XCP is now listed on an exchange and something was needed in the interim.

I’m sure the community can raise 2k as well, I am simply concerned that it is not the best use of the money and wish the money, as well as the energy in this thread, would be used elsewhere. That, however, is not my decision. I only give my opinion.

I agree the logos in this thread will not stand up against a number of options from 99 Designs. The reason I initially reached out and spent the money to hire a professional designer is because, while the designs in this thread are a good effort, I think something better will be created by an experienced designer.

Generally, when I work with my designer, I send links and information, but I do not influence what he considers to be the best visual representation of the project. I find that allows for maximum creativity from a person that you are paying to be as creative as possible. For that reason, I prefer that he does not see a number of options that were created on 99 Designs as I think it would be detrimental to the creative process and ultimately the finished product.

The community is free to do whatever they like, I did not imply otherwise. I have no authority over you or anyone else. I only offered my opinion on the matter in an attempt to save the collective time and energy of the community. If the design comes in and everyone hates it, then it will not be used and you will very likely be rid of me. :wink:

You make a valid point that I have not publicly shown any work. I can only assure you that I am working on Counterparty constantly. I feel posting too much information publicly is a liability. There are known, well funded competitors to this project and possibly other entrants whom remain unknown to us at this time. I prefer not to spoon feed those groups information on what is being improved on, or when those improvements will be complete. It will allow them to react favorably to the information, while not sharing any of their own, due to the different organizational structures they employ.

One way to look at this which is congruent with an open source ideal is to look at the skill set of various members of the community, then assign (or have them pick) tasks that fit each of those members’ strengths. I have chosen/been assigned an item that I am confident I will be able to deliver stellar results on. At the same time, I am trusting more technically minded members to complete tasks that I am unable to do because I’m just not as good at those things. Similarly, you are here ensuring that nothing untoward is going on because that is something you excel at, while other members of the community might be uncomfortable doing the same thing.

/x/post with bitcointalk

I did some rework on the existing logo (because it was needed for poloniex) Added some depth and dark colors.

This could be a temporary logo waiting for the official one.

Hi def HERE

Update with an outline to imporve readablility

Hi def HERE

No need for any flame wars on this thread – the announcement about the outside designer was literally just 3 days ago. Give it time – with a interim logo in place, centralized exchange up, and a growing reddit community, we’re in no rush right now. Check back in a few weeks and see what comes up then.

[quote author=TV link=topic=28.msg531#msg531 date=1392485225]
There are certainly drawbacks to open source: people can and will rip off your idea. That doesn’t mean it’s better to be secretive about brand identity. Does Apple need to be secretive about their brand? Is it even possible to rip off a well-made one? It is not. A painstakingly researched and well-executed brand isn’t possible to copy. It’s possible to learn from, and rip off, but users will opt for the original every single time.

Currently Counterparty is significantly behind Ethereum in the design and brand identity department, which is why it’s so important to get this right. It’s going to cost money, but we can definitely do it better than all the rest.

My chief complain about your thinking is it’s top-down. It’s vestigial hierarchical thinking. It’s as if you believe one person should assume one priviledged position and everyone has to fit into neat little boxes. Open source just doesn’t roll like that, and it’s a huge advantage. Decentralized leadership increases longevity and incentivizes community participation. Putting our minds together is more powerful than being secretive.

I’d still like to hear more about your take on who the target audience is. This is the most productive discussion we can possibly have, and even better if we can direct designers to this thread. No one new is going to be able understand the cryptocurrency space overnight, let alone an anonymous stock exchange or what it means for the world. So I think it’s only prudent to talk about who the “MVP of Counterparty” is. That’s whose paying you 80% of your salary one year from now. Who is this person, and what does he want to see from a brand? What is your pitch to this person?
[/quote]

You’re welcome to do it your way, nobody is stopping you.