OP_RETURN - Backup Scenarios for Counterparty

[quote author=canton link=topic=195.msg1592#msg1592 date=1395766376]
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/21b4pm/developers_battle_over_bitcoin_block_chain/

My comments so far on this thread:

[quote]It should be obvious from the last few months of MtGox/Vircurex/etc. hijinks that centralized exchanges are the present-time Achilles’ Heel of Bitcoin. I’m very unhappy that the bitcoin devs are actively trying to sink Counterparty since (in my opinion) it’s the only fair, well-planned, and well-executed distributed exchange implementation to date.
The “bloat” risked by the originally-planned for 80 bytes of OP_RETURN pales in comparison to the bloat caused by gambling, which presumably has much less value to the Bitcoin ecosystem than a fair and effective distributed exchange.[/quote]

[quote]Q: "Why should people running a node to support bitcoin have to act as free cloud storage for something else just getting a free ride"

A: MtGox got “free cloud storage” for their millions of private transactions. Satoshi Dice consumed upwards of 25% of the ENTIRE blockchain, and they never paid people running nodes for their service either. Meanwhile, Counterparty adds something valuable to the Bitcoin ecosystem: a distributed exchange, the ability to pay derivatives (in BTC no less), the ability to create asset classes, etc.

The blockchain gives all sorts of businesses and entities “free rides”. The question today is whether or not it’s appropriate for the bitcoin devs to alter the protocol because they don’t like a particular service. Myself, I think Counterparty adds something of value without adding significant bloat, so why actively stifle it?
[/quote]
[/quote]

The only reason I can think for such an attitude from the cor devs is that they dont realy want bitcoin to be 100% decentralized !!!  Or a group of millionaires (obviously) have a big influence on the “indepedent” devs… don’t ask me how and why… to difficult to imagine  :) 

This looks important -

https://www.counterparty.co/pay-to-pubkeyhash-functionality-added/

Any update on where XCP is going? Would like to know what route XCP plans on taking.