Help with Wallets Addresses

Hello, can anyone explain the wallet addresses on Counterparty? On the My Balances page, I have my address which I think is the one for people to send me coins, right? But what type of coin is that address for? Is it BTC, XCP, SJCX? I look at "show info" for my SJCX balance (it's the only one with info available) and that has a different address. Thanks for your help in answering this.

Hello ian. Counterparty uses Bitcoin addresses for everything so you can send BTC or any other Counterparty token or asset to any Bitcoin address except multisig or p2sh addresses. AFAIK, Counterparty doesn't support those more advanced Bitcoin addresses.

Now to view the Counterparty balances, the holder of a address would need to use a Counterparty-aware wallet like Counterwallet or counterpartyd. If you sent tokens or assets to a Bitcoin address that was created in Bitcoin-qt for example, you could sweep that address into Counterwallet. Since Counterparty transactions require fees to be paid to the Bitcoin miners, the address that is being swept also needs to have some Bitcoin in it. I think 0.0001 is enough currently. Hope that helps.

Ian, all of the coins are stored on a BTC address. (BTC, XCP, STORJ, MEAT, anything.) You can store them on any BTC address of which you own the private key.

Weex, multi-sig support is on testnet at the moment, and is getting ready to be added on the mainnet.  8)

[quote author=ian link=topic=503.msg3116#msg3116 date=1408635632]
Hello, can anyone explain the wallet addresses on Counterparty? On the My Balances page, I have my address which I think is the one for people to send me coins, right? But what type of coin is that address for? Is it BTC, XCP, SJCX? I look at "show info" for my SJCX balance (it's the only one with info available) and that has a different address. Thanks for your help in answering this.
[/quote]

Although there's enough explanations I'll try my own:
- All addresses you see are bitcoin addresses
- For everything except bitcoin, Counterparty protocol "packs" it inside
- Therefore you can import such address to a regular bitcoin wallet, but you'll only see the bitcoin amount (which it may have) while the rest will be there, but not recognized because there's no Counterparty daemon to "translate" those assets/tokens into something the wallet can understand
- Multiple addresses can, but don't have to, be used. It's for your convenience - for example you can have one related to regular expenses, another for particular asset, etc. Those are like multiple banking accounts.